What are decoy apps?
Decoy Apps look and often provide the same function as the App they represent does. On a decoy calculator the calculator will work but will also provide an additional function; access to a hidden compartment controlled by a passcode.
Why might a child use a decoy app?
- To store and hide their photos, videos and sometimes their text messages.
- To avoid suspicion.
- To throw off a curious parent.
How do I deal with decoy apps?
- Be aware of the apps a child uses
- Download them all yourself to test them
- Try to think why a decoy app might be downloaded
- If you notice two apps that are the same (such as a calculator), question why this is.
- Consider the child’s behaviour; have they been anxious or agitated?
Some examples of decoy apps are:
McAfee: Why Kids Secret Decoy Apps and Why Parents Should Care